Travel Expense Rates
Effective date: January 1, 2019
Application: Applies to all travel expenses incurred by an injured worker, dependant and WCB staff.
Policy subject: Allowance and expenses
To establish rates for covering travel expenses.
- POL 01/2019, Travel Expense Rates, authorizes the Manager of Corporate Policy to revise travel expense rates automatically following changes to the Saskatchewan Public Service Commission (PSC) rates.
- The Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) travel expense rates are rounded to the nearest cent (POL 01/2019, Travel Expense Rates).
- Travel expenses are covered based on the rates in effect on the date of travel. These rates are applicable to injured workers, dependants and WCB staff.
- For travel expenses where actual costs will be reimbursed (i.e., public transportation, hotels, taxis) and not a pre-determined travel rate, copies of original receipts must be submitted for reimbursement. Original receipts must be retained for 12 months from submission date, as they may be requested by the WCB for audit purposes.
Travel and Meal Expenses
- If a personal vehicle is used, travel coverage will not exceed the rates outlined in Appendix A – Private Vehicle Travel Rates.
- If travel outside of the province is required, the most economical means of public transportation (e.g., airfare) will be covered, if appropriate. This includes the actual cost of a taxi or specialized transportation to and from airports and hotels (POL 39/2010, Expenses – Travel and Sustenance – General).
- Coverage of meal expenses for travel within Saskatchewan and outside of Saskatchewan will not exceed the rates outlined in Appendix B – Meal Rates.
- Hotel accommodations are covered based on actual and reasonable costs.
- Coverage of hotel accommodations will be authorized for:
- An injured worker and/or a dependant requiring accommodation in order to attend WCB authorized medical treatment or vocational programming.
- WCB staff travelling on WCB business. WCB staff are encouraged to use businesses that have established competitive government rates or to request government rates, wherever possible.
- The rate for private accommodations is outlined in Appendix C – Private Accommodation.
- If an injured worker or WCB staff travel out of country:
- Actual costs in another currency (e.g., USD) will be paid in Canadian currency.
- The per diem out-of-province meal rate in effect at the time of travel will apply, but will be paid in Canadian currency.
For example, if an injured worker travels to the United States for treatment on November 1, 2018, a per diem meal rate of $51(USD) will apply and paid in Canadian currency.
(1) November 1, 2020. Ordinary per km mileage rate decreased from 46¢ to 45¢ and premium mileage rate (north of the 54th parallel) decreased from 50¢ to 49¢.
(2) May 1, 2020. Mileage rate for north of the 54th parallel updated from 49¢ to 50¢.
(3) March 1, 2020. Meal rates updated.
(4) November 1, 2019. Ordinary per km mileage rate updated from 45¢ to 46¢.
(5) January 1, 2019. Corporate Policy Manager authorized to revise travel expense rates following changes to the Saskatchewan Public Service Commission (PSC) rates.
(6) POL 02/2012, Expenses – Travel and Sustenance – PSC Rate (effective January 10, 2012 to December 31, 2018)..
(7) PRO 50/2018, Expenses – Travel and Sustenance – PSC Rates (effective May 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018).
(8) PRO 53/2017, Expenses – Travel and Sustenance – PSC Rates (effective June 1, 2017 to May 1, 2018).
(9) PRO 56/2016, Expenses – Travel and Sustenance – PSC Rates (effective November 1, 2016 to June 1, 2017).
Print or share this page with others