Effective date: January 1, 2020
Application: All medication purchases and approvals made on or after the effective date.
Policy subject: Allowance and expenses
Establish guidelines for covering medication costs.
POL 11/2019, Medication Coverage outlines when the WCB will cover prescription and non-prescription medications required to effectively treat, or facilitate recovery from, an accepted work injury or disease. The following procedure outlines the steps followed for the approval and payment process.
Medications – General
Medications – Payment
Opioid Treatment Management
Pharmaceutical Cannabinoids and Medical Cannabis
Overuse or Abuse
The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013
Sections 2(1)(v), 19(1)(b), 20, 25, 31(1), 55, 103, 104, 109, 111, 115(c)
(1) May 4, 2022. Housekeeping change to include authorization for medical cannabis soft gels or capsules form that contains the appropriate per cent of active ingredients as approved by a WCB Medical Officer.
(2) POL and PRO 10/2011, Reimbursement for Medications (effective October 1, 2011 to December 31, 2019).
(3) November 1, 2017. Requirement for original receipts updated to copies of original receipts; however, original receipts must be retained for 12 months from submission date, as they may be requested by the WCB for audit purposes.
(4) POL and PRO 10/2011 reviewed November 2, 2012 and no updates recommended.
(5) POL and PRO 09/2001, Reimbursement for Medications (effective November 1, 2001 to September 30, 2011)
Print or share this page with others