Effective date: January 1, 2015
Application: Claim and employer account decisions
Policy subject: Reconsiderations and appeals
To provide administrative guidelines for reversing decisions.
Customer means an injured worker, surviving dependent spouse, or employer.
POL 23/2014, Reserving Decisions establishes the process for reversing decisions.
- WCB staff will reverse decisions only after careful consideration.
Reviewing and Reversing Decisions
- If Case Management or Claims Entitlement staff decide to reverse or significantly alter a decision, they must get approval from one of the following:
- Team Leader.
- Assistant Director of Operations, or
- Executive Director of Operations.
- If Employer Services staff decide to reverse or significantly alter a decision, they must get approval from one of the following:
- Manager, or
- Director of Employer Services.
- If the WCB reverses a decision, the WCB staff member that made the reversal will:
- Discuss the reversal with the customer in person or by phone, and
- Send a letter to the customer that outlines the reasoning for the reversal.
Appeals – Reversed Decisions
- Customers can appeal reversed claim decisions. The following policies will apply:
- POL 21/2013, Appeals – Claims.
- POL 20/2013, Appeals – Employer Accounts
- POL 22/2013, Board Appeal Tribunal.
Act Sec #
Act Sec #
18, 20(5), 100(1)
PRO 51/2006 Reversing Decisions
Print or share this page with others