Medical Review Panel member responsibilities
If you are a member of a Medical Review Panel, you have a number of responsibilities. Find out what you are responsible for in this process.
As a Medical Review Panel member, your responsibilities include:
- Providing a list of dates you are available to examine the worker.
- Offering your office space as a location for the examination of the worker, if required.
- Attending the examination once a date, time and location are decided.
- Reviewing all information from the WCB claim file before the examination. A copy of the WCB claim file will be sent to you prior to the date of the Medical Review Panel Examination.
- Examining the worker and reviewing all diagnostic information and test results.
- Restricting any contact with the worker or their representative prior to the examination (if this is one of your patients) to ensure a fair and unbiased decision.
- Participating in a decision with the other panel members by answering the six questions posed in Section 63 of The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013.
- Protecting the privacy of the worker through the proper care of all documentation provided. Once the panel’s work is complete, appropriately destroying all documentation.
- Ensuring the principles of natural justice are followed:
- The worker has an opportunity to provide information concerning the issue before you.
- The worker is entitled to a decision from an unbiased decision maker.
- The panel members and the chairperson must be the ones to decide on the question posed.