What qualifies as a work injury?

A work injury is the result of any work-related event that causes a need for medical treatment and/or time away from work. The Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) considers each work injury on an individual basis, but in most cases compensation would apply to injuries that occur while a worker is at work, on company premises or on company business. This includes an occupational disease caused by work.

Learn more about what the WCB will consider when determining if an injury is work-related:

If you are a worker, there are three things you must do immediately if you are injured at work.

If you are an employer who has had one or more workers injured at work, you are legally required to report the injuries.

Frequently asked questions

Accordion content

A: All full-time, part-time, temporary and seasonal workers are covered by the WCB from the time they start work, except for workers who are in occupations excluded under WCB regulations. If you aren’t sure whether you’re covered, check with your employer or with the WCB.

Most employers in most industries are covered from the time they start business and register to pay premiums to the WCB. There are a few industries and occupations that aren’t covered. These are listed in The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 and in The Workers’ Compensation Miscellaneous Regulations.

If you work in an industry that doesn’t have to be covered by the WCB, you can apply on your own for optional personal coverage. You must tell your employer and your union that you’ve applied for optional WCB coverage. Your employer can also apply for optional personal coverage. The WCB will look at these applications and let you know if they’ve been accepted.

A: No. You are covered regardless of your age. If you suffer a work injury at age 63 or older, you may be entitled to most benefits, although wage-loss benefits are limited to a maximum of two years if you are unable to earn all or part of your earnings because of your injury.

A: In most cases, it does not matter what caused your work injury. However, there are some exceptions. Each claim is adjudicated on a case-by-case basis.

A: If your employer is covered by the WCB (and most employers are), you can’t sue them or any other worker or employer covered by the WCB. By giving up the right to sue, workers get any benefits that they’re entitled to receive. Learn more about the Meredith Principles, upon which all workers’ compensation systems are based in Canada.

A: When a worker dies at work or is found dead in the workplace in an area where the worker had a right to be in the course of his or her employment, it is presumed that the death was work-related unless it is proven otherwise. The deceased worker’s family may be entitled to burial expenses and benefits for a limited time for accepted claims. Learn more about work-related deaths and support for families.

A: If you are injured at work, there are three things you need to do immediately: Seek medical attention, report your injury to your employer and report your injury to the WCB using a Worker’s Initial Report of Injury (W1) online form. Learn about the online services available and how they can help you with the claims process.

Child page group heading
Types of work injuries

CTA: What to do if you’re injured at work and how to file a claim

What to do if you’re injured at work and how to file a claim

If you are injured at work, there are three things you need to do immediately. Learn how to file a claim with the WCB and what you’ll need to file your claim. Find information specific to temporary foreign workers and workers who are injured out of province.

Call to action button
Submit a work injury claim online

Get in touch with us

For questions on your claim, contact the WCB at: