Effective date: January 1, 2015
Application: Claim and employer account decisions
Policy subject: Reconsiderations and appeals
To provide administrative guidelines for reversing decisions.
The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the “Act”) authorizes the WCB to rescind, alter or amend any decision it has previously made (Section 20(5)).
- The WCB may reverse decisions when:
- There is new evidence.
- The Medical Consultant provides a contrary opinion regarding the relationship of medical issues to the injury and/or employment.
- The Appeals department, Assessment Committee or Board Members provide a contrary decision to that of the decision maker.
- Operations or Employer Services staff determine that the original decision is unreasonable.
- If a reversed decision results in the termination of benefits, POL 17/2010, Termination of Compensation Benefits – Notice, will apply.
Act Sec #
Act Sec #
18, 20(5), 100(1)
POL 13/91 (Amended by POL 07/98) Reversing Decisions
Print or share this page with others