Page intro

Find out when payments from the WCB are typically issued, how to read your payment statement and what worker overpayment is.

Page content

Here are the most common questions the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) receives about payment, payment statements and worker overpayment.

Payment frequently asked questions

Accordion content

A: Timelines and benefits will vary with individual circumstances.

For claims with time off work (time loss), if your claim is accepted, the WCB mails your first earnings loss cheque with letters to you and your employer explaining action on your claim. The first payment on a straightforward claim is generally made within 14 days if the necessary information is received promptly. The WCB continues to pay your earnings loss benefits usually every two weeks until you are back to work.

If you pay for any medical items, prescriptions or travel expenses because of your injury, keep your receipts. If your claim is accepted, list these receipts in a letter (or on a Worker’s Expense Statement (W6)), attach the original receipts and mail them to the WCB. The WCB will issue you a cheque for the expenses covered.

The WCB generally receives the receipts and issues a cheque to you within three days. Sign up for direct deposit to avoid delays and receive your benefits sooner.



WCB payment statements

Your WCB payment statement may include overpayment transactions, payment transactions with any additions and/or deductions, and messages with any pertinent information specifically for you. You will find your name and address at the bottom of the payment statement.

We’ve also created a set of frequently asked questions to help you understand how the payment statement has changed.

Payment statement frequently asked questions

Accordion content

A: At the WCB, we are always looking for ways to improve how we serve you, our customers. That’s why we’ve improved our payment statements by providing more information about payment transactions.

A: Statements are simpler now. Your statement may include overpayment transactions, payment transactions with any additions and/or deductions, and messages with information related to you. You will find your name and address at the bottom of the payment statement.

A: This section lists any overpayment transactions and an ongoing overpayment balance, if applicable.

A: This section lists all payment transactions, including any additions and/or deductions such as employer adjustments, overpayments being applied or recovered, or special adjustments.

A: This section provides information related to your specific situation.

A: The overpayment summary, payment summary and messages sections will only appear on your payment statement if they are applicable to you.

A: The WCB is informing you of financial activity done on your behalf. In this case, the WCB is required by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to send you a T5007 tax form at the end of the year for the amount of money that is taxable and was paid to your employer on your behalf. From the CRA’s point of view, you benefit from that taxable income, even when it is paid to your employer.

A: The overpayment recovery affects the payment you are receiving and your overpayment balance with the WCB. It affects the payment by reducing the amount that you are paid. It affects your overpayment balance by reducing the outstanding amount that you owe the WCB for overpayments.

A: If your statement is showing zero-dollar line amounts, there is nothing to worry about. This is not an error. For more explanation, contact your payment representative at the WCB.

A: If you sign up for direct deposit with the WCB, your payment statement will be mailed to the same address where your cheque had been sent before. If you are already on direct deposit with us, your payment statement will still be mailed to you.

A: The payment statement will show the same information as you received with your cheque.

A: If you have other questions, please contact us at 306.787.4370 or by email at

Worker overpayment frequently asked questions

Accordion content

A: An overpayment is any payment of compensation that is more than the worker should have received under The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the Act). An overpayment becomes a debt owed to the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB).

Section 112(2) of the Act says that the amount of any overpayment to a worker is a debt owing to the WCB and may be recovered from the worker or worker’s dependant in any legal way.

A: If paying the full amount will cause financial difficulty, a repayment plan can be arranged. Your payments must be made on a regular basis and over a reasonable time frame.

To arrange a payment plan, please contact the WCB’s operations department:

Toll free: 1.800.667.7590

If payments become irregular or stop, a referral to the WCB’s collections department will be made.

A: There are three ways you can pay your overpayment:

In person by cash, debit card, credit card (Amex, Visa or MasterCard) or cheque at the WCB offices in either of our Regina or Saskatoon locations:

Head office (Regina): 200-1881 Scarth St., Regina, SK  S4P 4L1

Saskatoon office: 115-24th St. E., Saskatoon, SK  S7K 1L5

By phone: Use a credit card (Amex, Visa or MasterCard) by calling the WCB’s collections department at 306.787.0474 or toll-free at 1.800.667.7590.

Online banking: Search for the “Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board” as the payee. When you’re prompted for an account number, enter your claim number.

Note: Please check with your bank to see if the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board is set up as a payee.


Contact information

Contact a WCB representative to find help.