Cost relief for employers

Page content

The WCB may provide cost relief if a claim is determined to be eligible. A claim may be eligible for total or partial cost relief of earnings loss benefits or other costs in the following situations:

  • Pre-existing conditions or injury following return to work

WCB policy explains explains cost relief is applied because of a worker’s pre-existing condition or injury following return to work.

A claim may be eligible for cost relief if:

  • A work-related injury is attributed solely to a worker's pre-existing condition.
  • The worker’s non-work-related pre-existing condition is aggravated or accelerated by the work injury and recovery from the work injury is prolonged.
  • The worker’s prior injury while working for another employer prolonged or caused a new injury.
  • The worker has a new injury during a return-to-work program or during alternate or accommodated employment.
  • A secondary injury, disease or condition occurs because of a worker's initial work injury.
  • Any other situation as directed by WCB policy. For example:
    • A worker receives benefits during a notice period while unable to participate in health care or an individual vocational plan.
    • Benefits are redirected to a dependent spouse while a worker is incarcerated.
  • Occupational diseases

WCB policy explains when cost relief is applied because of an occupational disease.

A claim may be eligible for cost relief to cover the high costs of a latent occupational disease if:

  • Employment is only partially responsible for the disease.
  • The employer no longer reports to the WCB or cannot be confirmed.
  • The effects of exposure to a harmful substance were not known at the time of exposure.
  • Disasters

WCB policy explains when cost relief is applied because of a disaster.

A claim may be eligible for cost relief to cover high claim costs from a disaster if:

  • Costs are more than 10 times the maximum wage rate for one claim.
  • Costs are more than 20 times the maximum wage rate for two or more claims.



Contact the Employer Resource Centre

For general inquiries, contact the Employer Resource Centre

Contact our employer services department

For specific inquires if you are:

  • ready to register your business
  • requesting a clearance or a letter of good standing
  • revising or updating your payroll
  • discussing your statement of account and/or making a payment