Coverage – Out of Province/Country
Effective date: April 21, 1999
Application: To employers in Saskatchewan who assign Saskatchewan workers to perform work in other jurisdictions and to the aforementioned Saskatchewan workers.
Policy subject: Employer coverage and registration
To provide coverage for workers in the course of employment outside of the province/country.
- POL 08/1999 provides compulsory coverage under The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 for certain workers who are required to work outside the province or country for continuous periods of less than two years.
- POL 08/1999 also allows employers to apply for optional coverage for certain workers who are required to work outside Saskatchewan for continuous periods of longer than two years but less than five years.
- When considering a request for coverage for workers outside the Province of Saskatchewan for periods of over two years, the following information will be required in writing from the employer prior to a decision being made regarding extension of coverage:
- Name and position of worker.
- Detailed explanation of job duties, which would remove the worker from the Province of Saskatchewan.
- Dates of departure and return.
- Detailed information, if required, ensuring worker and employer meet the definitions outlined in this policy.
- Each application will be reviewed on its own merits by Employer Services.
- Where out of province/country coverage is requested, a letter confirming or denying the coverage is to be provided. Where denied, the reasons for denial will be provided. Where coverage is approved, the employer will be informed of the duration of and what is required to maintain the coverage and is to be advised that the immunity from suit under Section 43 is not provided and that the coverage is on an insurance basis only.
- Where a worker is injured out of province/country, Operations staff will determine the date the worker left and together with Employer Services will determine the coverage which applies, before the claim is accepted.
- Each situation where coverage is provided will be reviewed on a regular basis, as needed, by Employer Services. Clarification from the employer relating to continued placement of workers will be obtained.