Coverage for taxi drivers in case of a workplace injury

Page intro

Learn the two types of WCB coverage individual taxi drivers can have in Saskatchewan, when coverage is automatic and when taxi drivers need to apply for WCB coverage.

Page content

How do I know if I have WCB coverage?

All taxi drivers in Saskatchewan can get WCB coverage. The type of coverage for individual taxi drivers depends on the arrangements the driver has made with the taxi company or the owner of the taxi.

All taxi companies are required to provide coverage for dispatchers, clerical and administrative staff. For taxi driver coverage, there are several factors that must be considered to determine whether taxi drivers are independent workers, or whether they are regular workers of the taxi firm.  This includes the ownership of the vehicle, how the drivers are being paid, and whether the driver hires a relief driver.

There are two ways taxi drivers can get WCB coverage.

When does a taxi driver need to apply for WCB coverage?

  • When a taxi driver leases the car from someone else
  • When a taxi driver sub-leases the car from someone else
  • When a taxi driver owns the vehicle (owner-operator)

When is WCB coverage automatic for taxi drivers?

  • When a taxi driver is paid as a worker (i.e. T4) or contractor

Optional personal coverage for taxi drivers

Most taxi drivers in Saskatchewan may be eligible to purchase optional personal coverage with the WCB. If optional personal coverage is not purchased by a taxi driver, there may not be any WCB coverage in place if a work injury happens.

What is optional personal coverage?

Optional personal coverage is for individuals not automatically covered under The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the Act). When personal coverage is purchased, the applicant becomes a worker and is eligible for benefits under the Act.

If you are injured at work, the WCB may be able to help you provide for your family. When you purchase WCB optional personal coverage, you may qualify for benefits if you are injured at work.

What does optional personal coverage include for me?

With optional personal coverage:

  • If an injury is work-related, you may be eligible for benefits and assistance, no matter how the injury occurred.
  • You may qualify for earnings loss benefits, rehabilitation benefits and medical expenses if you are injured at work.
  • Optional personal coverage is for work-related injuries only. Optional personal coverage does not cover non-work related injuries.

How much does optional personal coverage cost?

You can purchase optional personal coverage for any amount between the minimum personal coverage amount and the maximum assessable wage rate.  The taxi industry falls under the S23 industry premium rate code. Learn about premium rates and how they’re set. The annual premium rate is how much you would pay per $100 of coverage.


In the event of an injury, you will be required to provide proof of earnings if the amount of coverage you requested is higher than the minimum. Therefore, the amount of coverage purchased should reflect your employment income.

If your actual earnings are less than the amount of coverage you have purchased, we will reduce your coverage to the confirmed amount. Your premiums are non-refundable, so please make sure you choose an amount that is no more than your actual earnings. For example, if your annual earnings are $30,000, you may request coverage anywhere from the minimum amount up to $30,000. Your premiums will be calculated as your elected coverage amount x your annual premium rate/100 = cost for the full year.

When is optional personal coverage in effect?

Your personal coverage takes effect at 12:01 a.m. the day after we receive your request for coverage, or at a later date if specified.

Important information about personal coverage

Coverage is subject to a minimum of three months each year.

  • Your Employer’s Payroll Statement (EPS) must be returned by Feb. 28 each year. If our office has not received this form by the due date, your coverage will be cancelled and you will be responsible for premiums due to date.
  • Payments must be made by the due date on your Statement of Account (SOA), or your coverage will be cancelled.

To cancel coverage, you must send a request in writing. Coverage will be cancelled the day we receive your request and you will be responsible for premiums to the date of cancellation.


For specific inquiries

If you are:

  • ready to register your business
  • requesting a clearance or a letter of good standing
  • revising or updating your payroll
  • discussing your statement of account and/or making a payment

Employer services department

Contact us

For general inquiries, contact us.

Employer Resource Centre

Claim information

For questions on your worker’s injury claim, contact us.

Operations division