Effective date: December 1, 2014
Application: All claims where the WCB is billed for extrication services.
Policy subject: General
To provide payment for extrication services.
Extrication, for the purpose of this policy, means the removal of an injured worker from a situation that would prevent the worker from receiving medical aid. For example, the removal of a worker trapped in a damaged vehicle or a collapsed building.
- Extrication may be required when rescuing a worker who is injured in the course of employment.
Extrication from a Licensed Vehicle
- Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) will be the first payor in all instances involving a licensed vehicle. The WCB will reimburse SGI for extrication services involving an injured worker.
Extrication – Other
- Where a third party, other than SGI, directly pays for extrication services, the third party may apply to the WCB for reimbursement. The WCB will reimburse the third party for the lesser of the actual costs or $1,000.
- The WCB will cover the costs for:
- The Jaws of Life.
- A crane.
- A tow truck, or
- Any other means of extrication considered acceptable by the WCB.
- The WCB will not cover the costs for:
- Traffic control.
- Cleaning of roads.
- Medical aid provided by first responders, or
- The wages of staff assisting at an incident.
(1) POL and PRO 08/2008, Extrication Services (effective July 1, 2008 to November 30, 2014).