Minimum Compensation (Section 75)
Effective date: January 1, 2021
Approved date: October 26, 2020
Application: Applies to all claims occurring on or after January 1980 for workers totally unable to work.
Policy subject: Benefits - General
To provide minimum benefits for workers who are totally unable to work.
Average weekly wage means the average weekly wage of the industrial composite for Saskatchewan as determined by the Board for a year form information published by Statistics Canada (Section 2).
Totally unable to work (Section 75) means that due to the injury, the worker cannot:
- Perform any work, or
- Take part in a return-to-work (RTW) plan, or part-time or supernumerary work.
Absences for medical appointments are not considered being totally unable to work.
- Each year the WCB will review the minimum benefits for any worker who is:
- Injured on or after January 1, 1980, and
- Is totally unable to work.
- Starting January 1, 1983, minimum benefits will be:
- Not less than 50 percent of the average weekly wage as of June in the year before the benefit review, or
- Where the worker’s average earnings are less than that amount, the amount of those earnings.
- It is the Board’s intent that if the average weekly wage for the current year is less than the average weekly wage for the previous year, there will be no adjustment.
- The provincial average weekly wage as of June 2020 was $1,108.90.
Effective January 1, 2021, minimum benefits for any worker who is totally unable to work will be:
- Not less than $554.45 per week, or
- The amount of the worker’s average earnings.
The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 Sections 2(1)(b), 75
(1) PRO 52/2018, Minimum Compensation (Section 75) – 2019 (effective January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019).
(2) PRO 56/2017, Minimum Compensation (Section 75) – 2018 (effective January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018).
(3) PRO 57/2016, Minimum Compensation (Section 75) – 2017 (effective January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017).
(4) PRO 57/2015, Minimum Compensation (Section 75) – 2016 (effective January 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016).
(5) PRO 57/2014, Minimum Compensation (Section 75) – 2015 (effective January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015).
Print or share this page with others