Second Injury and Re-employment Reserve
Effective date: October 1, 2017
Application: All injuries on or after the effective date.
Policy subject: Employer accounts – Claims costs adjustments and cost relief
To establish guidelines for charging claim costs to the Second Injury and Re-Employment Reserve.
POL 11/2017, Second Injury and Re-Employment Reserve – Cost Relief establishes guidelines for providing employers with cost relief and charging costs to the Secondary and Re-Employment Reserve (the “reserve”).
- Operations staff will review claims for cost relief throughout the life of a claim. This includes reviewing claims for cost relief as decisions are made (e.g., referral from Claims Entitlement Services to Case Management, when a claim is placed on long-term earnings loss benefits and at claim closure).
- Operations staff will identify:
- Claims which qualify for cost relief, and
- The portion of claims costs (i.e., full or partial) that will be charged to the reserve.
- Operations staff will determine what amount of claim costs to charge to the reserve by using:
- A percentage of costs charged to expense codes (e.g., wage loss, medical, etc.),
- Costs before and/or specific dates, or
- A combination of (a) and (b) above.
- Operations staff will charge claim costs to the reserve. Team Leaders will approve charges that total more than $100,000.
- If the employer qualifies for cost relief, Operations staff will notify the employer in writing. The letter will note:
- The reason why the employer is receiving cost relief, and
- How much cost relief the employer will receive.
- If an employer requests a review for cost relief, Operations will provide the employer the results of the review in writing.
- If an employer receives cost relief, a credit is applied to the employer’s account (POL 27/2016, Experience Rating Program – Discounts or Surcharges will apply).
- If an employer appeals the WCB’s decision regarding cost relief, the WCB may provide copies of claim documents relevant to the cost relief decision to the employer or their representative (POL 05/2017, Privacy of Information).
Act Sec #
Act Sec #
PRO 21/2010 Second Injury and Re-Employment Reserve
Print or share this page with others