Medical Review Panels
Effective date: June 2, 2010
Application: All claimants
Policy subject: Reconsiderations and appeals
To establish guidelines for Medical Review Panels.
- The Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) has approved POL 18/2010, Medical Review Panels, which establishes guidelines for Medical Review Panels.
- All procedures for Medical Review Panels are the responsibility of the Board Services Department.
- The following procedure provides guidance for the implementation of the policy.
- Board Services will provide an orientation to each new chairperson of the Medical Review Panel.
- The information package provided to customers will include a fact sheet, an application form, a blank certificate and copies of the appropriate sections of the legislation.
- Where the WCB requires clarification pertaining to the certificate of the Medical Review Panel, Board Services will request written clarification from the chairperson. A copy of the written request will be forwarded to the worker, or the dependant of the deceased worker or their representative. In seeking clarification of the Medical Review Panel’s decision, the WCB will not provide any information to the Medical Review Panel that was not already in its possession at the time of the decision.
- Where amendments to the certificate of a physician or chiropractor are required, the amendments will be added and initialed by each Medical Review Panel member. Where the certificate requires significant changes, the amended copies must be signed by all members of the Medical Review Panel. A copy of the amended decision will be provided to the worker, the dependant of the deceased worker or their representative.
Act Sec #
Act Sec #
59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
01 January 2014. References updated in accordance with The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013
PRO 20/2001 Medical Review Panels
Print or share this page with others