Coverage – Volunteer Firefighters
Effective date: February 1, 2006
Application: Claims for volunteer firefighters from Saskatchewan municipalities.
Policy subject: Employer coverage and registration
To provide coverage for volunteer firefighters.
Volunteer Firefighter means a volunteer registered with a Saskatchewan municipality for the purpose of fighting fires. Volunteer firefighters are normally unpaid but may receive an honorarium.
- Section 2(1)(ii) of The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the “Act”) defines a member of a municipal volunteer fire brigade as a worker.
- Under Section 3(gg) of The Workers’ Compensation Miscellaneous Regulations volunteers are excluded except those who are members of a municipal fire brigade.
- The Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) in Board Directive 25/74 restricted coverage to “regular members of a brigade documented as such in a municipality’s records” and to “persons who are conscripted by an individual qualified to do so.” Board Directive 25/74 also stipulated wage loss benefits under the previous Act and needs to be updated to establish wage loss benefits under the current Act.
- Coverage under the Act is restricted to volunteer firefighters who are registered with a Saskatchewan municipality.
- Under the authority of Section 20(2)(b) of the Act, the WCB determines that volunteer firefighters sponsored by a Saskatchewan municipality are in the course of employment while performing firefighting duties.
Terms and Conditions
- Volunteer firefighters must be registered with their respective Saskatchewan municipality.
- Coverage shall be in effect from the time of notification of a fire and includes travel from the individual’s residence or location to the site of the fire and return provided there are no deviations for personal reasons. Coverage is also in effect while attending volunteer firefighter training.
- Any remuneration, excluding expense reimbursement, over $1,000.00 paid to volunteer firefighters by a Saskatchewan municipality to provide firefighting services is to be reported as assessable earnings.
- If there is loss of earnings the calculation of wage loss benefits for any claims arising out of this policy will be based on:
- All earnings from a volunteer firefighters employment in industries covered by the Act;
- Where there are no covered earnings, the provincial minimum wage for a forty- hour workweek for the first 24 months of demonstrated earnings loss;
- Where wage loss benefits have been paid for a period exceeding 24 consecutive months, two-thirds of the average weekly wage as of June in the year immediately preceding the year in which the loss of earnings or ability to earn occurs; and,
- In the event of a fatality, benefits to the dependent spouse will be based on the provisions under Section 81 of the Act.
- The costs of claims arising out of this policy are to be applied directly to the cost experience of the respective Saskatchewan municipality in which the volunteer firefighter is registered.
Board Directive 25/74 Coverage – Volunteer Fire Brigade
01 January 2014. References updated in accordance with The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013
References updated 01 May 2015 in accordance with The Workers’ Compensation Miscellaneous Regulations