Effective date: January 1, 2013
Approved date: November 14, 2012
Application: Applies to all bona fide students participating in approved work-based learning programs sponsored by the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Advanced Education.
Policy subject: Employer coverage and registration
To define circumstances for providing coverage to students in work-based learning assignments.
Bona fide student means an individual who is engaged in a work-based learning assignment and who is registered with:
Work-Based Learning Assignment, as per the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) and the Ministry of Education, means a secondary level course that includes a work placement component which:
Work-Based Learning Assignment, as per the MOU between the WCB and the Ministry of Advanced Education, means a course or component of a course which:
Community-Based Organization (CBO) means an organization recognized by the Ministry of Advanced Education that delivers training or employment services for no profit.
School means a school listed in Schedule “A” - Schools as updated from time to time by the Ministry of Education.
Post-secondary Institution means a post-secondary educational institution listed in Schedule B – Post-Secondary Institutions and Schedule C – Extra Provincial Post-Secondary Institutions as updated from time to time by the Ministry of Advanced Education.
Historically the WCB has extended coverage to students in work-based learning assignments under agreements with the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Advanced Education. Presently, the Ministry of Education is responsible for Kindergarten to Grade 12 (K-12) education and the Ministry of Advanced Education is responsible for post-secondary and CBO programs.
Terms and Conditions
Ministry of Education – January 1, 2013
Ministry of Advanced Education – April 19, 2007
The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013
Sections 2(1)(l), 2(1)(ii), 3, 20, and 80
(1) January 1, 2014. References updated in accordance with The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013.
(2) POL 06/2007 and PRO 06/2007, Coverage – Students in Work-Based Learning Assignments (Saskatchewan Learning effective May 12, 2006 to December 31, 2012; Saskatchewan Advanced Education and Employment effective April 19, 2007).
(3) POL 07/2006 and PRO 07/2006, Coverage – Students in Work Based Learning Assignments (effective November 1, 2006 to May 11, 2006 for Saskatchewan Learning and April 18, 2007 for Saskatchewan Advanced Education and Employment).
(4) POL 08/2004 and PRO 08/2004, Coverage – Students in Work Based Learning Assignments (effective October 1, 2004 to October 31, 2006).
(5) POL 15/1994, Act Coverage for Students Placed in Work Training Assignments by Saskatchewan Education, Training and Employment (effective July 13, 1994 to September 30, 2004).
POL 17/1989, Act Coverage for Students Placed in Work Training Assignments by Saskatchewan Education (effective October 10, 1989 to July 12, 1994).
Print or share this page with others