Effective date: January 1, 2013
Application: Applies to all bona fide students participating in approved work-based learning programs sponsored by the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Advanced Education.
Policy subject: Employer coverage and registration
To define circumstances for providing coverage to students in work-based learning assignments.
Bona fide student means an individual who is engaged in a work-based learning assignment and who is registered with:
Work-Based Learning Assignment, as per the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) and the Ministry of Education, means a secondary level course that includes a work placement component which:
Work-Based Learning Assignment, as per the MOU between the WCB and the Ministry of Advanced Education, means a course or component of a course which:
Community-Based Organization (CBO) means an organization recognized by the Ministry of Advanced Education that delivers training or employment services for no profit.
School means a school listed in Schedule “A” - Schools as updated from time to time by the Ministry of Education.
Post-secondary Institution means a post-secondary educational institution listed in Schedule B – Post-Secondary Institutions and Schedule C – Extra Provincial Post-Secondary Institutions as updated from time to time by the Ministry of Advanced Education.
Historically the WCB has extended coverage to students in work-based learning assignments under agreements with the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Advanced Education. Presently, the Ministry of Education is responsible for Kindergarten to Grade 12 (K-12) education and the Ministry of Advanced Education is responsible for post-secondary and CBO programs.
Terms and Conditions
(1) January 1, 2014. References updated in accordance with The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013.
(2) POL 06/2007 and PRO 06/2007, Coverage – Students in Work-Based Learning Assignments (Saskatchewan Learning effective May 12, 2006 to December 31, 2012; Saskatchewan Advanced Education and Employment effective April 19, 2007).
(3) POL 07/2006 and PRO 07/2006, Coverage – Students in Work Based Learning Assignments (effective November 1, 2006 to May 11, 2006 for Saskatchewan Learning and April 18, 2007 for Saskatchewan Advanced Education and Employment).
(4) POL 08/2004 and PRO 08/2004, Coverage – Students in Work Based Learning Assignments (effective October 1, 2004 to October 31, 2006).
(5) POL 15/1994, Act Coverage for Students Placed in Work Training Assignments by Saskatchewan Education, Training and Employment (effective July 13, 1994 to September 30, 2004).
POL 17/1989, Act Coverage for Students Placed in Work Training Assignments by Saskatchewan Education (effective October 10, 1989 to July 12, 1994).
Print or share this page with others