Coverage – First Responders
Effective date: November 1, 2005
Last updated: October 24, 2005
Application: First Responders of health regions of Saskatchewan.
Policy subject: Employer coverage and registration
To establish guidelines for coverage of first responders.
- The respective Saskatchewan health region is designated as the “Employer” and will be responsible for maintaining records of approved emergencies and the first responders eligible for coverage under this policy.
- The respective health region is responsible for reporting all injuries to the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB).
- Employer Services will verify, on an annual basis, the list of the health regions with the Saskatchewan Association of Health Organizations (SAHO) as listed in Schedule A to POL 07/2005.
- In the event of a claim Employer Services will verify with the health regions that the claimant is a registered first responder and the appropriate health region rate code will be used for cost identification purposes.
- Cost statements will be issued to the appropriate health region and the cost of extending coverage to eligible first responders will be reflected in future premiums charged to the health region.
- Coverage is in effect from notification of an emergency, and includes travel from the individual's residence or location to the site of the incident and return, provided there is no deviation for personal reasons. Coverage does not extend to situations where a first responder is acting as a “Good Samaritan” without the authority of a call out from a health region.
Act Sec #
Act Sec #
The Workers’ Compensation Miscellaneous Regulations 3(gg).
01 January 2014. References updated in accordance with The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013
Reference updated 01 May 2015 in accordance with The Workers’ Compensation Miscellaneous Regulations
PRO 11/98 Coverage, First Responders
Print or share this page with others